According to a recent WCNC article, one in four people getting divorced are 50 or older, a drastic increase from 1990. The article also mentions that most older Americans remain single within a decade of their divorce, with women more likely to stay single than men.
Reportedly, older women are more satisfied with their lives as single individuals than men, which could play a part in why more people 50 or over are staying single after divorce. In addition, economic resources, social ties, and health no longer have a major impact on whether people remain single or get remarried after divorce, according to the article.
However, a final factor mentioned in the WCNC article that could be contributing to more people staying single following divorce is that some people simply do not want to get remarried, regardless of potential partners. Whatever the reason that more people are remaining single after divorce, not jumping into a new relationship or getting remarried right away following a divorce does have its benefits.
5 Benefits of Staying Single After Divorce
Going through a divorce can be an incredibly stressful process, both emotionally and financially. However, many people find that once things are finalized, they are left with a sense of relief and newfound freedom. This newfound freedom can often lead to a desire to remain single for a while, rather than rushing into another relationship. The following are five of the benefits of staying single after divorce:
- Personal Growth: Taking time to focus on yourself after a divorce can be an opportunity to explore your interests, hobbies, and goals. Divorce can often leave individuals feeling lost, without a sense of purpose. Staying single allows you to focus on your personal growth and rediscover who you are as an individual. It can be a time of self-discovery, which can ultimately lead to a better understanding of yourself and what you want in a future partner.
- Financial Benefits: Divorce can often leave individuals with significant financial burdens. Staying single for a while can help you get your finances in order and create a solid financial plan for the future. Living on one income rather than two can also lead to a greater sense of financial stability and independence.
- Parenting: If you have children, staying single for a while after a divorce can allow you to focus on your role as a parent. It can be an opportunity to create a strong co-parenting relationship with your ex-spouse without the added stress of a new partner in the mix. It can also give your children time to adjust and come to terms with the changes in their family dynamic.
- Emotional Healing: Divorce can be incredibly traumatic and emotionally draining. Staying single for a while can allow you to take the time you need to heal emotionally. It can be an opportunity to work on your mental health and well-being without the added stress of a new relationship. It's important to fully process and understand the events that led to your divorce before moving on to a new partner.
- Freedom and Independence: Being single after a divorce can be an incredibly liberating experience. It can be a time to reconnect with friends, travel, and do things on your own terms. You have the freedom to make your own choices and live life on your own terms without the added pressure of a partner.
Staying single after a divorce can be a positive and transformative experience. It can provide time for personal growth, financial stability, parenting, emotional healing, freedom, and independence. Remember that everyone's journey is different, and there is no right or wrong way to go through a divorce. Take the time you need to heal, process, and discover who you are as an individual before starting a new relationship. Ultimately, staying single can lead to a stronger sense of self and a better understanding of what you want in a future partner.
Need a Divorce Attorney in Charlotte? Schedule a Confidential Consultation with Our Experienced Team Today. We're Here to Help!
At Rech Law, P.C., we have a team of experienced divorce lawyers who have helped numerous clients in Charlotte dissolve their marriages successfully. Our main objective is to safeguard our clients throughout the entire divorce process and ensure that they are well-equipped to start their post-divorce life in the best possible way. Our ultimate goal is to help you embrace and enjoy life after marriage, whether you're single or in a new relationship.
Learn more about our satisfied clients by reading their testimonials.
To schedule a confidential consultation with our experienced divorce lawyers in North Carolina, please give us a call at (704) 659-0007 or contact us online today. We're here to support you every step of the way.