Skip to Content
Rech Law, P.C. Rech Law, P.C.
Charlotte 704-659-0007 Monroe 704-228-4488 Cornelius 704-228-2790
Charlotte Divorce Lawyer

Charlotte Divorce Lawyers

Female Attorneys Committed to Serving Serving Mecklenburg County, NC

Everyone knows how difficult the divorce process can be for all parties involved, including the couple, the children, and even their extended families. Decisions concerning major family issues can seem fraught with unseen consequences: anxiety, animosity, and confusion over what is best for the future can cause all types of problems and stress.

If you are considering getting a divorce in Charlotte, you need to know your options. 

There are many factors to consider with female-only Charlotte divorce lawyers, such as experience, fees, type, and how long the case process will take.

Additional major perks include:

  • Understand the unique challenges that women face
  • More likely to be sensitive to your emotional needs
  • Reasonably affordable compared to male lawyers

That is why we recommend the services of one of our experienced Charlotte family lawyers at Rech Law, P.C. Our legal team deals with family issues daily and has the knowledge, skills, and resources to help you transition through the entire divorce process as comfortably.

How Much Does It Cost to Get a Divorce in Charlotte, NC?

The fee for a divorce in Charlotte varies depending on the type of proceeding needed and the complexity of your case. However, it typically costs between $1,000 and $10,000.

Uncontested Divorce in NC

In North Carolina, an uncontested divorce is an absolute divorce. Typically a partner is filing on the grounds of physical separation. In uncontested divorces, the couple agrees on all the terms before finalizing the dissolving of the marriage.

You can file for uncontested on no-fault grounds. Meaning neither you nor your spouse has to prove that anyone was at fault or the cause of your marriage to end.

How Much Does an Uncontested Divorce Cost in NC?

Filing for an uncontested divorce in North Carolina costs $225, plus an additional $30 to serve the other party with papers and $10 to restore your former name. You may also need to pay attorney's fees whenever you need an attorney.

While this is a good and easy solution, there are still some things that will need to be done with the court. For example, if you want to seek spousal support or property division, you would need to get a settlement agreement.

It’s not uncommon for people to grow apart and want to go their separate ways. If you and your spouse have both come to the conclusion that your marriage has ended, and you want a quick and simple solution, this option may be a good fit for you.

Continue Reading Read Less

Questions About Divorce?

We are here to help. Still have questions or can't find the answer you need? Give us a call at 704-659-0007 today!

  • How Can I Use Mediation?
    One of the most popular ways for parties to negotiate equitable terms for their separation and file for separation is through utilizing mediation. In mediation, the parties convene with a mediator, who acts as a liaison between the spouses. Mediators cannot give legal advice. If you wish to obtain legal counsel during mediation, you need to hire a mediation lawyer.
  • How Do I Know if Mediation Is Right for My Situation?

    For many individuals, mediation is a more relaxed approach to divorce. Instead of immediately resorting to the court and judge's decisions, you are given a chance to have an extensive discussion with your spouse. While this sounds like a fantastic option, not every couple can go through negotiations or work together to create a solid agreement. In these situations, other alternatives may provide a better route to resolution.
    If you are curious about finding out if you can handle the mediation process, Rech Law, P.C. can help answer your questions:

    • Can you communicate with your spouse? Perhaps one of the most important questions to answer is if you can share with your spouse. If your gut tells you that you cannot, then it is likely that mediation will not be an effective solution. In these situations, having attorneys take the reins and communicate with one another can prove more beneficial in the long run. You should take this into account when deciding on your approach.
    • Was the divorce agreed upon? Is the sudden news to you or your spouse? If that is the case, you might find mediation a challenge. Telling someone you want to end your marriage takes processing, and they may disagree with the decision. On the other hand, you might have decided on divorcing as a couple. If this is your situation, mediation may be right for you because you may be able to agree on specific components of the divorce with your ex-spouse.
    • Was abuse a problem? Did your spouse ever engage in verbal or emotional abuse? In these cases, attempting negotiation is unsafe, as it can put you in a dangerous situation. Most times, if an attorney knows of a domestic violence issue, they will not suggest mediation at all. Instead, they will proceed with litigation, taking your case to court if necessary.

    If you have any questions about the mediation process, you must have an attorney to help you. Rech Law, P.C. has experience with mediation and can help answer any inquiries.

    The Mediation Process in N.C.

    1. If you can negotiate terms for your spouse, you can work with any lawyers you've hired and the mediator to collaborate on a separation agreement that both parties will sign.
    2. You can then present that separation agreement to the court as part of your uncontested case to expedite the process and ensure those terms are included in your final decree.
    3. The judge takes their time to review, and after that, you will be issued your proclamation.
  • Does It Matter Who Files First?
    No. If you are eligible, your partner does not need to consent. If you submit first, your spouse does not need to finish or sign any documents, file anything with the court, or litigate for the hearing. Nevertheless, your partner must get appropriate legal notification case that you file.
  • How Long Does The Process Take in NC?
    A simple process in N.C. can take 45 to 90 days to finalize after it has been filed with the courts. However, more complicated divorces, such as one in which the spouses cannot agree on child support or custody, will likely take longer.
  • Do You Have To Be Separated for a Year To Get a Divorce in NC?
    Yes. Under NC General Statutes § 50-6, couples must be physically separated for at least one year before filing.
  • Where Do I File in Charlotte, NC?
    If you live in Mecklenburg County, you must file your complaint at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse, which is located at 832 E 4th St, Charlotte, NC 28202. Its hours are Monday - Friday from 9 AM - 5 PM.
  • What Does Divorce From Bed and Board Mean in NC?
    Divorce from bed and board is a form of separation. This type of separation is limited and only available for you if you experience extreme circumstances, such as adultery.
    You can file for a regular separation agreement with help from an attorney. Having an attorney file your paperwork can allow you to negotiate property division and temporary spousal support, called post-separation support.
    After separating through a divorce from bed and board, you would still have to wait one full year before you can file.

How Can I Get a Quick Divorce in NC?

If you want a quick divorce in NC, you can get an uncontested case. Uncontested cases involve both spouses agreeing on all terms, and you will not need to go to court.

However, you must petition the court to get an uncontested divorce in NC and a separation agreement outlining all the terms.

Get the help you need by calling (704) 659-0007 or Contact our Charlotte  family attorneys online.

Grounds for Divorce in Charlotte, NC

North Carolina is a no-fault divorce state, meaning proof of a spouse’s marital misconduct is not required to file. The only “grounds” for a dissolution of marriage are that either one or the other of the spouses wishes to end the marriage.

Other requirements include:

  • The couple has lived separately and apart for at least one year;
  • The separation was intended to be permanent, and
  • One of the spouses has been a resident for at least six months.
  • They must live in different residences for there to be no doubt of the separation.

With all the requirements above, either partner may file.

Whether or not the couple has resolved all issues, such as child custody, child support, alimony, or property division, the marriage has dissolved. To protect your legal rights, you must ensure that specific topics and pending documents are complete.

Making a Difference in Our Client's Lives

Read Our Reviews

At Rech Law, P.C., your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.

    "I will without a doubt use this firm again for all my legal matters."
    I was referred to Rech Law by my employer. The staff and attorneys I used were extremely professional and were always responsive to my questions. I will without a doubt use this firm again for all my legal matters.
    - Debra B.
    "I never felt as if I was in the dark on anything, and I could always ask them any question and get an immediate response."
    I would highly recommend Rech Law. They were very prompt with all my questions and continuously kept me up to date on the status of my case. Everything was handled swiftly and professionally. I never felt as if I was in the dark on anything, and I could always ask them any question and get an immediate response.
    - Brian M.
    "Above and beyond."
    Rech law is fantastic!!! I didn’t know how I would even begin to figure out my horrible driving status. Rebecca handled everything and a few days later, I got my new drivers license!!!! Thank you SO much!!!
    - Jared
    "Katie Gilbert is an exceptional lawyer!"
    Katie Gilbert recently handled a legal matter of mine, and she managed to make the process as painless as possible. Katie was responsive, professional, and thorough with my matter. Katie was also very personable, like talking to an old friend. I highly recommend Katie!
    - Joshua
Let's Take the First Step Together Start with a Private Consultation
Call Us Today (704) 659-0007
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your address.
  • Please enter your County.
  • Please enter your State.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy Submitting this form does not in any way form a client/attorney relationship.