Skip to Content
Rech Law, P.C. Rech Law, P.C.
Charlotte 704-659-0007 Monroe 704-228-4488 Cornelius 704-228-2790

Can You Change Divorce Papers After the Judge Signs Them?

Two wedding rings sitting next to a judge's gavel, a book, and a toy house.

When a judge signs divorce papers, people often assume that everything included in that divorce agreement is set in stone. However, many people don’t realize that even after a judge signs a divorce agreement, it can be changed. Divorce modification is common, and it’s a process that many former spouses have taken advantage of both in the immediate aftermath of their divorce and years removed from the end of their marriage.

Can You Modify a Divorce Agreement in North Carolina?

In North Carolina, you can request a post-judgment divorce modification. You can also request a post-judgment child custody agreement modification. This is because life can change. Your life, your ex-spouse’s life, and the lives of your children can change over the years.

This means that while the terms of your divorce agreement, especially when it comes to alimony, child custody, and child support, may have worked for you and your former spouse when the judge signed it, your circumstances may have changed since then. For example, you may have been offered a promotion at work, but it requires you to move out of state. This could impact your child custody, alimony, and child support arrangements.

The following are common reasons that former spouses seek to change their divorce agreements after the judge signed them:

  • Income Change
  • Illness
  • Job loss
  • Relocation
  • New Spouse
  • Disability
  • Cost of living increase

Keep in mind, judges generally only agree to modify divorce agreements if there is a substantial change to your circumstances, and they usually only agree to modify a child custody agreement if it is what is in the best interest of the children.

Need Help Modifying a Divorce Agreement? Contact Our Experienced Divorce Attorneys in North Carolina

Since 2010, Rech Law, P.C. has been helping people handle divorce, child custody, and other family law issues in North Carolina. Our experienced family law attorneys can assist you in the process of negotiating or modifying your divorce or child custody agreement, including helping you secure the most favorable outcome possible for your situation.

For more information about Rech Law, P.C., and how our legal team has helped clients with family law issues in the past, check out our testimonials.

Ready to talk about divorce modification in North Carolina? Call us at (704) 659-0007 or contact us online today to schedule a confidential consultation with our experienced divorce lawyers in Charlotte.

Share To: