According to K104.7, Lauren Brooke, a woman from North Carolina, went viral on TikTok for her divorce photo shoot. Lauren and her ex-husband married in 2012 and finalized their divorce in January 2023. Lauren used the photo shoot to mark the occasion.
Lauren’s mom was her photographer for the photo shoot. During the photo shoot, Lauren lit her wedding dress on fire to celebrate surviving the divorce. The TikTok video of the photo shoot has over six million views, with some applauding her and others criticizing her decision to burn the dress. Some suggest the dress could have been recycled or given away, but Lauren didn't want the 'bad' vibes attached to it.
Lauren said that burning the dress was not done in anger, but as a way for Lauren to permanently end that part of her life and start the next chapter of her life.
What Can I Do to Let Go of the Past and Kickstart the Next Chapter of My Life Post-Divorce?
Are you newly divorced, feeling overwhelmed with life and uncertain of what the future holds? You are not alone. Divorce can be an incredibly tough experience and can leave one feeling isolated, afraid, and confused. But don’t worry. You have the strength within you to begin again and embark on a journey of self-discovery. Through trial and error, hard work, understanding yourself better, patience, and seeking help from those around you, embracing life after divorce is possible. The following are tips for how people can embrace life after divorce:
- Acknowledge Your Feelings and Reactions to the New Situation – During times of change and uncertainty, it's important to remember that it's okay to feel a range of emotions. Whether you're excited about the new situation or feeling anxious about what's to come, acknowledging your feelings and allowing yourself time to process them is key. It's important to give yourself permission to feel the good and the bad, and to avoid minimizing or dismissing your emotions. By taking the time to explore your reactions to the new situation, you'll be better equipped to navigate any challenges that come your way, and to make the most of the opportunities that arise. So, remember, it's okay to feel what you're feeling. Just make sure to take care of yourself along the way.
- Prioritize Self-Care – Taking care of yourself should always be a top priority in all aspects of your life. It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday routines, but neglecting your emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual well-being can have negative effects on all areas of your life. Prioritizing self-care means taking the time to understand and nurture your own needs, whether that means regularly practicing meditation, setting boundaries with others, or exercising regularly. By making self-care a priority, you can enhance your overall quality of life and better manage stress levels, allowing you to show up as your best self in both personal and professional relationships.
- Don’t Isolate Yourself – In a world that is more connected than ever before, it’s easy to fall into the trap of isolating ourselves. Whether it’s due to work, school, or just the busyness of everyday life, we sometimes forget to prioritize our relationships. However, reconnecting with old friends or joining a support group can be incredibly beneficial for our mental and emotional well-being. Not only can it provide a sense of belonging and support, but it can also offer perspective and new experiences. So, if you find yourself feeling lonely or disconnected, don’t hesitate to reach out and connect with others. You might be surprised at how much of a positive impact it can have on your life.
- Seek Professional Help – If you're feeling overwhelmed or struggling to cope with a difficult situation, seeking professional help can make all the difference. Speaking to a qualified therapist can provide you with the tools and support you need to navigate your emotions and find a way forward. Whether you're dealing with anxiety, depression, or trauma, a therapist can help you process your experiences and develop healthy coping mechanisms. It's not always easy to reach out for help but taking that first step can be a powerful act of self-care and self-compassion. Remember, there is no shame in seeking support, and there is no shame in prioritizing your mental health.
- Take Time for Fun – In the hustle and bustle of daily life, it can be easy to forget to take a break and indulge in activities that bring you joy. Whether it's playing a sport, reading a book, or simply spending time with loved ones, taking time for yourself is essential for maintaining a healthy work-life balance. It can be tempting to prioritize work and other commitments, but neglecting your own needs can lead to burnout and decreased productivity in the long run. So, go ahead and take that pottery class, plan a weekend getaway, or simply take a relaxing bath with your favorite book. Whatever it is that makes you happy, make sure to set aside time for it. You deserve it.
- Make Plans for the Future – Moving on after a divorce can be daunting. It's hard to imagine what your life will look like without your former partner in the picture. But the great news is, this is a chance for a fresh start. Now is the time to start thinking about what you really want for your life and setting goals to make those dreams a reality. Maybe you want to pursue a new career, travel to a far-off destination, or simply focus on self-care and personal growth. Whatever your vision, taking steps towards achieving those goals can help you feel empowered and excited about your future. So, embrace the unknown and start making plans. Your future self will thank you.
For more information about divorce in North Carolina, call Rech Law, P.C. at (704) 659-0007 or reach out to us online today to schedule a confidential consultation with our team of divorce lawyers in Charlotte. Check out our clients’ testimonials to learn more about Rech Law, P.C.