Skip to Content
Monroe Child Support

Monroe Child Support Attorney

Dependable Child Support Representation in Union County

Because parents have a legal obligation to support their minor children financially, when parents separate or divorce, they should establish a child support agreement to maintain their children's living standards. However, this is not always a smooth process, and it's not uncommon for parents to disagree about who should pay child support and how much. When this happens, the matter may need to be decided by the courts.

If you are dealing with a child support problem, your first step should be to reach out to an experienced attorney familiar with handling child support cases in Union County. Rech Law, P.C. is well-known for providing our clients with truly personalized legal representation. Our dedicated legal team can handle any child support case, no matter how complicated.

To schedule a consultation with one of our Monroe child support lawyers, call us at (704) 228-4488 or send us a message online. 

Calculating Child Support

When parents divorce, the courts will order one parent to pay child support. Typically, the non-custodial parent pays child support to the custodial parent. In North Carolina, there are legal guidelines outlining how child support should be calculated. Generally speaking, child support amounts are calculated based on the parents' gross incomes. However, there are other factors that the court considers when making a final judgment.

Factors considered when determining child support include:

  • The number of children the parents share
  • Other child support obligations of the paying parent
  • The gross income of each parent
  • Childcare costs
  • Health insurance costs
  • The child's standard of living pre-divorce (in certain circumstances)
  • Any special circumstances associated with the case

In North Carolina, there are three worksheets used to calculate child support. Worksheet A is used for families where one parent has primary custody of the child (243 nights or more a year). Worksheet B is used for families where parents share custody of the child. Worksheet C is used for families who split custody, such as when one parent has primary custody of one child, and the other parent has primary custody of another.

The NC child support guidelines apply to families in which the parents' gross income does not exceed $360,000. In cases where the parents' combined income is over $360,000, the court will go on a case-by-case basis to determine what child support amount is appropriate for the situation.

Child Support Modifications

Once the courts enter a child support order, it is legally binding. However, if a time comes that the order is no longer appropriate for your family's situation, you may be able to petition the courts for a modification. Child support modifications are typically sought when there has been a substantial, lasting change in circumstances for the child or one of their parents.

Common reasons for modifications include:

  • A parent loses his/her job
  • A parent has a significant change in income
  • Parent or child relocation
  • Retirement
  • A parent has a change in mental or physical health with financial impacts
  • A parent has an additional child or gains an additional dependent
  • A child has a special need or change in circumstances

Child support modifications are taken very seriously, and therefore the courts will only consider changing a child support order if certain conditions are met. If you believe you have grounds for a child support modification, reach out to Rech Law, P.C. We can help you determine if a modification is in your family's best interest and help you file all the necessary court paperwork.

Rech Law, P.C. Is Invested in Your Family

At Rech Law, P.C., we believe in providing clients with the dedicated attention and respect they deserve. When you hire us, we keep a clear line of communication open, and you will work directly with your attorney. We are here to help families across Union County, including the communities of Monroe, Waxhaw, Weddington, and Indian Trail. If you need help with a child support case today, reach out to us. We are standing by.

To discuss your child support case with a knowledgable attorney, contact Rech Law, P.C. at (704) 228-4488 or send us a message online.


Making a Difference in Our Clients' Lives

Read Our Reviews
  • "I will without a doubt use this firm again for all my legal matters."
    I was referred to Rech Law by my employer. The staff and attorneys I used were extremely professional and were always responsive to my questions. I will without a doubt use this firm again for all my legal matters.
    - Debra B.
  • "I never felt as if I was in the dark on anything, and I could always ask them any question and get an immediate response."
    I would highly recommend Rech Law. They were very prompt with all my questions and continuously kept me up to date on the status of my case. Everything was handled swiftly and professionally. I never felt as if I was in the dark on anything, and I could always ask them any question and get an immediate response.
    - Brian M.
  • "Above and beyond."
    Rech law is fantastic!!! I didn’t know how I would even begin to figure out my horrible driving status. Rebecca handled everything and a few days later, I got my new drivers license!!!! Thank you SO much!!!
    - Jared
  • "Katie Gilbert is an exceptional lawyer!"
    Katie Gilbert recently handled a legal matter of mine, and she managed to make the process as painless as possible. Katie was responsive, professional, and thorough with my matter. Katie was also very personable, like talking to an old friend. I highly recommend Katie!
    - Joshua

    Why Choose Rech Law, P.C.?

    We Are on Your Side
    • Diverse Experience in a Wide Array of Cases
    • Highly Awarded & Reputable Team
    • Track Record of Successful Outcomes
    • Realistic Expectations from the Start
    • Work Directly With Your Attorney
    • Personally Invested in Your Case
    • Timely Communication Is Everything
    • Advocates for Families During Difficult Times